Rude Unkal is a new garage jazz band from NY that’s playing on Tues, Aug 18 at SPACE in Evanston. This is an interview with drummer Eric Harland (Voyager, Dave Holland’s Prism, James Farm, Charles Lloyd, etc.) and saxophonist Daniel Rovin (Karl 2000, Ratcake, GSI Studios).
These are our favorite Jazz & Improvised Music albums that came out in 2013. If you listened to the Jazz Show (M-F 5am-12pm) sometime in 2013, chances are you heard us giving one of these a good spin. It was a really tough choice to narrow it down to the top 10, but you’ll notice we have a convenient 6-way tie in the 10th position (^_-). Big congratulations to the artists on this list—may you continue to create amazing records long into the future. We are also extremely grateful to the labels and promoters who hooked up WNUR with so much fantastic music last year, keeping Chicago’s Sound Experiment as new and bold and fresh as ever.
Here are the Top 10 Jazz/Improv Albums of 2013 as voted on by the Jazz Staff at WNUR
- Frank Rosaly – ‘Cicada Music’ (Delmark)
- The Whammies – ‘Play The Music Of Steve Lacy Vol. 2’ (Driff)
- Black Host – ‘Life In the Sugar Candle Mines’ (Northern Spy)
- Dawn Of Midi – ‘Dysnomia’ (Thirsty Ear)
- Ches Smith & The Arches – ‘Hammered’ (Clean Feed)
- Nicole Mitchell’s Ice Crystal – ‘Aquarius’ (Delmark)
- Spontaneous Music Ensemble – ‘Challenge’ (Emanem)
- Flex Bent Braam – ‘Lucebert’ (BBB)
- Keefe Jackson’s Likely So – ‘A Round Goal’ (Delmark)
- (tie) The Kahil El’Zabar Quartet – ‘What It Is!’ (Delmark)
- (tie) Carl Testa – ‘Iris’ (LockStep)
- (tie) Jon Irabagon’s Outright! – ‘Unhinged’ (Irabbagast)
- (tie) Cecile McLorin Salvant – ‘Woman Child’ (Mack Avenue)
- (tie) Harrison Bankhead Quartet – ‘Velvet Blue’ (Engine Studios)
- (tie) Iverson / Konitz / Grendadier / Rossy – ‘Costumes Are Mandatory’ (HighNote)
To all our listeners, if you haven’t heard these. Click the links and go fix that!